Tuesday, August 21, 2007

A quilt and a prayer



Today I started to put together a quilt for the friend of a friend who also happens to be my Sister in Christ. I was determined not to cut anymore but use up the odds and ends from other quilts. The result was this colorful, crazy looking quilt (it still needs to be sewn and quilted.)

As I was sitting there on the floor with all these pieces, some of them really pretty, some odd looking, some others plain ugly, I was thinking that this quilt resembles my life. We all have beautiful, bright memories to share, others that we are embarrassed to remember, others that we wish we could forget, but how, when they are all together, accepted as part of our sacred story, make a beautiful patchwork, a beautiful sacrifice of praise.

Quilting is for me such a profound prayer experience. I remember two things my grandmother used to love, and that was quilting/sewing and jigsaw puzzles. We used to sit on the floor with a cup of coffee and a cup of milk (I was a little girl) and we would be entertained for hours and hours designing patterns (there was no Internet then.) And I know that being there with her, with God in our silence, was such a privilege.

Today as I sit again (this time I do get coffee) and put together quilts and stitch them with love and prayers, I feel so blessed for the patchwork quilt of my life. For all the blessings and for all the heartaches because they have helped me to become a more compassionate person and for all the not so pretty pieces because they make me who I am, a uneven, unpatterned piece of artwork. A wonderful crazy quilt!

You formed my inmost being; you knit me in my mother's womb.
I praise you, so wonderfully you made me; wonderful are your works!
Psalm 139:13-14

1 comment:

Theresa said...

Hi! Sr. Helga,
The quilt is wonderful. I think you pray and work hard. I like it.