Wednesday, October 10, 2007

St. Ripper pray for us!


These last days in the novitiate we have been having crocheting lessons during recreation from Sr. Mary Ann and Sr. Mary Beth. Both of these Sisters are highly skilled at many crafts. This crafting session was mmmmm, rather interesting. Sr. Mary Beth succeeded at teaching a left handed person how to right hand crochet. The evening included questions like:

Sr. Helga: "Who is the Patron Saint of Seamstresses?"


Sr. Mary Beth: "St. Ripper, of course!"

Crocheting requires some concentration, especially when you are learning. I keep on thinking of something Sr. Mary Beth told me: "The stitches tell a lot about how you're feeling." Which is absolutely true, either too tight, too tangled, too loose, too wrong, too right. Same happens with quilting.

I wonder what the stitches tell about me, my life, my prayer. Sometimes I wonder where all of this will take me. Sometimes I wonder if I match the thread of this wonderful afghan of religious life.

The other day I found this granny hexagon afghan in one of the rooms in the novitiate and fell in love with it. It has become a friend during meditation. If you notice, it has all kinds of odds and ends of yarn and yet, it fits together as if God had designed it. The colors blend together and the dark colors make others stand out or accentuate them. Did you notice the baby yarn carefully guarded by other darker and brighter colors? All of them play a part in this beautiful design. The contrast makes it wonderful, attractive, beautiful. And I think this resembles our community, when you meet a Sister of the Incarnate Word....you have met one Sister of the Incarnate Word.

We have Sisters in all sizes, shapes, colors, languages and backgrounds, yet, we are one in heart and in our love for the Incarnate Word, one in faithfulness to our charism, one in being the human face of God in four continents. Together we resemble an afghan, like Joseph's cloak of many colors.


Praised be the Incarnate Word!

1 comment:

sr betsy said...

Ha! St. Ripper - love it. I am learning to sew from one of our expert Sisters! It's amazing what one learns in initial formation.

Good luck crocheting.

God bless