Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Of my mother, poetry and novitiate


I called my mother last night. She heard good news from the cardiologist. No heart problems, only a little rheumatic pain. After I heard the news, my own pain that I've had in the center of my stomach, disappeared. I hadn't notice I had it until it was gone. Thanks be to God who is never outdone in generosity!


Among other things, I received this book where two
of my poems were published. As some know, I studied Lengua y Literatura Hispánica ( Hispanic Language and Literature) most people think it's just Spanish, but it isn't, it's different (I also have a minor in Translation which as been a lot more useful than the B.A.) Anyway, the literary magazine Novosantanderino published two of my poems.


I will translate one of them here.




To Rebeca's Eyes

Lost in the immensity

of night...

Navigating among stars

or maybe climbing the moons

of imagination...


Maybe breathing memories

and far-away smiles,

evoking the mockingbird

with the song of your soul...


Meanwhile, everything's calm,

the sun shines, the desert keeps silent,

your soul is motionless, your cup intact.

2 comments:

Linda Athis said...

Dear Helga,

So glad your Mom is OK and that you are feeling better. I went through a very similar situation with my Mom during her health decline. This Thanksgiving night is the first anniversary of her death. I've put up a blog about what I went through. Thought you might enjoy it.

www.forgivingmom.wordpress.com

sr betsy said...

Sorry to hear about your mother. I haven't posted for a while and am catching up on the news. I'll pray for your mother!!