Saturday, February 02, 2008

When I'm an old lady....


The Sisters of the Incarnate Word of Corpus Christi really know how to have fun together! Today we had a meeting at the motherhouse where we took the opportunity to dress silly. We laughed and talked and enjoyed being together.


Some of the Sisters prepared a display with pictures of us at a youger age. It was a lot of fun to guess who was who. Some were pretty easy since they haven't changed much. Others were a little tougher, I thought mine was pretty obvious but still some people took a long while to figure me out. It was cute to see how most of us look the same.


Doesn't our Superior, Sister Irma looks just the same?


After the meeting was over we had a delicious merienda (afternoon snack) provided by our three kings (queens, really.) These are the three Sisters who found a baby Jesus inside the Kings Cake (Rosca de Reyes) on January 6 (they come with three Baby Jesus' inside.)



After the merienda we just sat and visited. Yours truly kept on taking pictures of everybody. It isn't everyday that we see each other wearing purple.


And why were we wearing purple? No, were not celebrating Mardi Grass ahead of time, we were just being more spontaneous, more playful. We are moving into the future with a child's playful heart and the wisdom of an old lady. We are going back to the heart of our Mother Foundress who said: "Since this Order is protected by God, the Sisters will play in this world of happiness which is preserved by heaven. It will be a heaven on earth where the King of Heaven will be honored and adored." Writings, Vol. 7, p.46


With that in our hearts we remember that when we gather in His name, he is there in our midst (Mt. 18,20)


And well, I can not describe the spirit of the day better than posting Sister Ann Brigid's version of the poem "When I'm an old Lady" by Jenny Joseph.


When I'm an old lady I will wear purple with a crazy hat which may or may not match (it won't matter.) And I shall spend my allowances in trifles and share them with great laughter and joy.

I will take wonderful delight in the rain and marvel- with new companions- at the sunsets in other places. The beauty of children will still warm my heart but I will be sharing it with newly-found friends.

In my older age, I just might take up a second language for my new place in life- Swahili, perhaps French, maybe Vietnamese or even Chinese. The possibilities are dazzling. I will always stop to smell the roses but I will be on the way to somewhere new.

Why, in a few years, I might be living-near the eastern hills of Africa. I could be teaching in Ohio, working in California or Guatemala or learning a whole new skill in the heart of Mexico. Can you see me sitting at a computer in Roanne with the French breezes wafting through the room? I can! Will I be able to walk in the shadow of Jeanne herself? I think so.

Who knows, in 2013, I might be flying to Saigon City to open a formation house for twenty postulants. Someone might ask me to build a new garden; imagine starting one from scratch.

In any of these futurings I will be following in the pioneering steps of those who came before me. They answered a call and went where none had gone before- secure in the arms of He who had whispered to them.


Do I- in this age of purple and unmatched hats- hear those same whisperings? Do I slink back into my security or do I throw it all to the spirit in my old age and say, why not Lord!


I took this last picture at the last moment, inspired by the power of community. We are so diverse, so different and yet we all love God, we all love the Church and we love each other. May God help us all to have more purple in our lives.

4 comments:

Brittany said...

"Since this Order is protected by God, the Sisters will play in this world of happiness which is preserved by heaven. It will be a heaven on earth where the King of Heaven will be honored and adored." Writings, Vol. 7, p.46

Oh! I LOVE that... especially the play part!

Susan Rose, CSJP said...

What a great post!!

Irish said...

Lovely post.
Shyness however is a facet of PRIDE.

Anchoress said...

Shyness is humility and modesty, a beautiful facet of monastic virtue. Mary was shy with the Archangel....Blessings from Ireland.