Sunday, April 13, 2008

Big, Big News!


I had been impatiently waiting to be able to give you my big news. I have been accepted to profession and I have a date!

I am so full of gratitude I could not fully express it. It has been a long time. From the time I met the Sisters (May 1999) to the time I entered (Jan. 2004.) It's been long and throughout that time I often asked God, "Lord, how come other people get to enter, how come other people seem to have what I don't?" I had college loans and was supporting my family, I had a few things to work through. It seemed like I just couldn't enter.

My mom told me if I wanted to enter I needed to finish college first. That was something I didn't want to do. Like other people in this crazy "instant" age, I wanted to drop everything and enter (I coined it "giving everything up for the Lord") truth is, I didn't want to wait. It is true I wanted to give God the best of my years but God was also preparing me, teaching me patience and surrender.

The day I finished college was a happy one. The Sisters went to my graduation.
They sat for the 4+ hours. I even had a bishop there for me! The wonderful Bishop Fitzpatrick who has gone to heaven since. Some of you may know that I have a sick addiction to dictionaries, well, Bishop gave me a Merriam-Webster 11th edition as a graduation gift. Another group of friends (band directors and self-appointed young-nuns' cheerleaders) gave me the two volume Diccionario de la Real Academia Española 22th edition. It was a happy day, more than anything because I was getting closer to my dream (the dictionaries are great too.)

Even when I entered, I was still helping to support my mom's studies. My mom is a registered surgical nurse in Mexico. She had been studying English to be able to become an RN here. My mom is now working in the United States, in nursing, though she's not an RN yet but continues to study to achieve her goal. She's working, enjoying it and I see her happy, healthy and fulfilled. God couldn't have given me more.

The college loans are gone. I had an angel to help me finish paying them off, or rather, many angels. Then, there was the question of certification. Some of you know that I have a degree in Spanish Literature with a minor in Translation Studies (big deal, what can I do with a degree like that?) So, I needed to study more in order to share in the ministry of my Sisters. Pope John Paul II has been instrumental, every step of the way, his words:

"Do not be afraid. Do not be satisfied with mediocrity. Put out into the deep and let down your nets for a catch."

have always been with me. Do not be satisfied, God wants more!

So, I went back to studying. I am now a certified generalist teacher with a kinder endorsement and a bilingual certification. I am halfway through a masters in theology and will become certified in Montessori Education. I am prepared for ministry, I am ready and willing. I want to give it all to God and He is taking my word.

I no longer look at other people and ask, "why can't it be me Lord?" My time has come. On Agust 9th, 2008 I will say YES! to God. I will say like our Foundress Jeanne Chezard de Matel:

"O my Gentle Love...choose me as your friend. Make your intimate hiding place in me, as I do in You. Make me a chanel through which You can pour out Your graces on all those whom You want to favor."

Today's readings speak to me greatly. When I was a child my grandmother had me memorize the Psalms to repeat in moments of anguish or fear. Psalm 23 was the first one I learned; "The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want..." Today, I can say that I recognized the voice of the Shepherd and I follow Him. My cup is overflowing. Surely goodness and mercy will follow me all the day of my life and I will dwell in the house of the Lord FOREVER! My grandmother is surely smiling down from heaven.

Praised be the Incarnate Word! Now and Forever more. Amen!

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations. Well done good and faithful servant. You have worked hard and I am happy for you. The victory is always worth the sacrifice.
Many blessings,
Irish

Susan Rose, CSJP said...

Wonderful news!!! I'm still waiting for similar news of my own.

Peace!
Susan

Lisa said...

Hermanita, que felicidad es suyo! I am so happy for you and join you in giving thanks to God!!

Lisa said...

Hermanita, que felicidad Dios te ha dado llamandote a ser su esposa! I am so happy for you and join in giving thanks for God for this tremendous gift.

Anonymous said...

en hora buena mi hermana!!!!
i am glad for you !!!!!
i will be praying for you!!!
pray for me that i will be open to the fathers will...
pablo

Brittany said...

Congrats! So good to hear that you have been accepted. I hope that you got my note. This is very exciting for everyone who loves you! :) I will be praying for you.

sr betsy said...

Congrats, my Dear Sister! Blessings to you and your community. More later via e-mail.

Helga said...

Well, Irish, I wouldn't call it victory...it's more like an overwhelming sense of gratitude for God's grace. I know that it is only through God...Also the word sacrifice, it sort of doesn't fit me, this life is great! I've recieved more than I've given...But I think I know what you mean....

Helga said...

Susan, I will pray that you get your very own great news very soon....

Helga said...

Gracias Lisa, keep praying with me....

Helga said...

Oblato, quizas puedas venir, no estas tan lejos chico....

Helga said...

Brittany, I did get your note...It is always so exciting to get snail-mail....Please continue to pray for/with me. I pray for you too. May you get the answer your heart is waiting for....

Helga said...

Thanks Betsy! I'll wait for the e-mail....

Lisa said...

By the way, I meant to tell you that I have added a link to your blog on my blog. This way I'll be sure to stop by more frequently and you'll probably get a few other visitors.

Bendiciones!

Lisa said...

By the way, I meant to tell you that I have added a link to your blog on my blog. This way I'll be sure to stop by more frequently and you'll probably get a few other visitors.

Bendiciones!

Chema said...

Hermana Helga:
¡Enhorabuena! Gracias por compartir esta buena noticia que es, a su vez, motivo para dar gracias a Dios.
Me uniré a usted en la oración el 9 de agosto. También ruego por su hermana catalana (a pesar de que soy de Madrid ;-)

oblatofranciscano said...

dear sister,

is that a formal invite i sense..;)
se me invitas voy..
please pray for me....i still have no word on profession ....i mean to be honest i am the edge of my seat....i think they are wating tell the end of may ...boy it it hard to wait some times....pray for me...pablo isof

Helga said...

Chema,

Gracias por las felicitaciones y gracias por las oraciones por nuestra Hermana Española.

Nuestras Hermanas de Mexico tienen una casa y un colegio en Madrid. Algun dia las visitaré. Dicen que Madrid es hermoso...

Helga said...

Oblato,

Claro que te invito.¿Para que son los vecinos si no? Además como que hace faLta gente para armarla en grande, ¿no crees?

Sigo pidiendo por ti...que la respuesta que quieres oir llegue pronto.

Michelle Monkou said...

I just came across your blog and your most recent entry is filled with so much joy that I share in your happiness. Congratulations and Blessings.