Sunday, April 20, 2008

To pray unceasingly


I watched half of the youth rally on TV yesterday. I wanted to read the Pope's talk to the young and went to the Vatican website. It's already there. How cool is that?

I liked the following part:

"There is another aspect of prayer which we need to remember: silent contemplation. Saint John, for example, tells us that to embrace God’s revelation we must first listen, then respond by proclaiming what we have heard and seen (cf. 1 Jn 1:2-3; Dei Verbum, 1). Have we perhaps lost something of the art of listening? Do you leave space to hear God’s whisper, calling you forth into goodness? Friends, do not be afraid of silence or stillness, listen to God, adore him in the Eucharist. Let his word shape your journey as an unfolding of holiness."

I like what he says about first listening, then responding by proclaiming what we have heard and seen. "Let God's Word boil within before it boils over. " That image is going to be with me for a long time.

But what Pope Benedict says is so true, it does take some courage to be silent and still. When I first came to the convent I already had a history with God. I always prayed but my prayer was this ongoing conversation...while driving, while working silently... (O.K, it was more like me talking at God.) I was not used to Adoration (which is very important for us as Sisters of the Incarnate Word AND Blessed Sacrament.) The stillness made me feel uneasy. I had no problem talking to God, but I don't think I was listening long enough, lest He thought of answering. He might have even told me He wanted me to become a nun, no way!
After I came I started to get more used to it...Praying to God helped me with my prayer to God, if you know what I mean. I keep on keeping on and God's word has helped me...softening the process, and now I know I couldn't be without Adoration, without the privilege of sitting before Jesus. Reading scripture, listening to God, all these things are necessary in my life.

Through this listening, through the prayer life, personal, communitarian and liturgical, I am nourished, and like Pope Benedict says I "find the courage and support to walk the way of the Lord." May others in the United States and throughout the world be encouraged to pray and to trust that God will show them the particular vocation he has for each one.

Meanwhile let us continue to pray unceasingly.

Thank you, Pope Benedict!

4 comments:

Michelle Monkou said...

I think that in the same way we learn how to read, speak, and write, we have to learn how to be contemplatively silent. Our daily lives annihilate this and schools don't provide for such opportunities. Even though I'm an adult, I was inspired by the words of the Pope to the young.

Miche

Chema said...

Yo encontré su blog, hermana, haciendo una búsqueda en Google de la expresión "Do not be afraid". Ahora vuelve usted a incluirla: "No tengáis miedo del silencio", nos dice el Papa. En los últimos meses Dios me está indicando, por distintos caminos, la importancia del silencio, de la contemplación, de buscar la espiritualidad. Le doy gracias por ello.

Helga said...

Gracias Chema,

La expresión me es familiar. La voz de Juan Pablo II me penetró el corazón y me animó a seguirle..

Croe que San Juan de la Cruz dice:

Una sola Palabra habló el Padre que fue su Hijo y esta habla siempre en enterno silencio, y en silecio ha de ser oída del alma..."

Solo en silencio se escucha a Dios...¡Ánimo!

"¡Dios es mi salvación!
Confiaré en él y NO TEMERÉ.
El Señor es mi fuerza,
el Señor es mi canción;
¡él es mi salvación!"

Helga said...

Michelle,

I believe we all needed to hear those words. St. John of the Cross said:

"The Father spoke one Word, which was His Son, and this Word He always speaks in eternal silence, and in silence must it be heard by the soul.”