Wednesday, May 28, 2008

A Denim Quilt for my Little Brother

Blessed is the servant who loves his brother as much when he is sick and useless as when he is well and can be of service to him. And blessed is he who loves his brother as well when he is afar off as when he is by his side, and who would say nothing behind his back he might not, in love, say before his face. ~St Francis of Assisi


God did not allow us to grow together, I know,
But yet, I’ve seen you grow and I’ve grown with you,
Wondering about the great things that God
Had in store for you.

Will you be a doctor? Will you be a soldier?
Will you be a priest? Will you be a good man?

There are so many choices, little brother, big soul,
And many times we make mistakes that we regret
And yet, God always allows us to come back,
In a big, fancy way, like that prodigal son.

Someone said we’re all tied to God
With a string of yarn,
When we sin, the yarn is cut
But when we come back to God,
He ties that yarn, getting you a bit
Closer to Him.

Before you were born, God chose you,
Before I was born, God chose me,
We were meant to be born
From the same womb,
Meant to be born
Of our parents great love.

I remember you as a baby,
So delicate and frail,
A tiny, wrinkled thing
Who held my finger
With his whole hand
And wounded my heart
With a love I can not explain.

Brother, coat of many colors,
Child of dreams
Like Joseph of Egypt,
You are becoming a man,
And I need you a child.

You’re growing up so fast,
What’s the hurry?
Wait for me, the one who
Grew up too fast to play with you
And who now walks at your side,
Rejoicing at every step you take.

I can not protect you anymore,
Or kiss your pains away,
What can I tell you?
Life is this way.
I wish I could give you more certitudes
Than uncertainties,
I wish I could give you
A firm ground, to stand on,
a good world where you could do and undo.
But yet, I can only give you my hand
And my love.

Brother, my little boy,
Become the best you can be,
Whatever profession, it doesn’t matter,
Whatever makes you smile.
Become the holiest, happiest man,
I, as always, will be by your side.

I love you, brother!
Your Sister Squared
*************************************
The pictures are of a quilt I am making for my brother Manuel (the Spanish word for Emmanuel.)

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Hermanita, cual es la fecha de su votos?y donde se llevara a cabo?

Helga said...

Serán el 09 de agosto a las 11:00 a.m en la Casa Madre (donde es el noviciado.)