Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Bread for the Journey



Give us this day our daily bread...Mark 6:11

Just like the Jews waited for the manna in the desert, as Christians we know that our heavely Father will provide for our needs. "Look at the birds of the sky, they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, yet your heavenly father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? "Mt 6:26




Making bread has become a passion of mine. It was in my bucket list. The first attemps were succesful, others were not. I performed a reversed miracle, I turned the bread into stone! Those failures taught me a few things, especially that I must be patient and that I must have the right intention. Too soft kneading, to much kneading, no, just the right kind of kneading.



The dough has been kind to me. It has shown me that if I work at it, if I intend to use it to feed people, it will show me how to get it right. In bread making the right touch is important. The right intention is too. The bread that one buys at the store, for example, never tastes as good as home made bread.


The art of bread making is ancient. The Jews for examplemake bread without yeast in remembrance of the years in the desert. Bread is important in almost every culture. There is something to say for bread that feeds the body and the soul. This is the Bread that nourishes me, it expands in my soul the way yeast expands in the flour. But yet yeast without flour is no good. I have the bread, I need the hunger.




When I make bread I pray for the people that will be eating it. It becomes a meditartion as I slowly and carefully knead the dough. I especially enjoy making bread for the Agape meal in Holy Week.




I love all the biblical images in the bible about bread. "The Kingdom of Heaven is like yeast that a woman took and mixed into a large amount of flour until it worked all through the dough." Mt 13:33



The pictures of this bread show a bread I make, I do not know what to call it. It is a sweet yeast bread filled with apples, raisins, nuts and other things. It was good. But there is an even better bread. The Bread of Life.

As Sisters of the Incarnate Word daily Eucharist is a must. We have the privilege the receive the bread of life everyday. That is the Bread that fills us. The Bread that sustains our life as Religious.
We ask God everyday, "give us this day our daily bread" but, are we becoming bread ourselves?

No comments: